Thursday, March 16, 2017

Word of the Year: Self Care Vol 9

Vol 9 Stepping Away

What does self care mean?  Self care is any activity that you do voluntarily that helps you maintain your physical, mental or emotional health.  It can help you feel healthy, relaxed and ready to take on your work and responsibilities.


I will be completely open and honest with you...I've really been struggling lately.  March is always a very busy time of the year, weird weather in the Midwest, etc.  Yesterday I was feeling SO overwhelmed and out of shorts, that I grabbed my cell phone, put my oldest in charge for 15 minutes and stepped outside for a quick run.  Thankfully where we live in the county I can do a mile with keeping the house in my view the whole time!  I needed that 11 minutes to get outside, run and clear some cobwebs out of my head as my mom use to tell me as a teen.  When the kids were even smaller, I would just head out for a minute or 2, sprint to the mailbox, or just around the whole house.  Taking your self out and away from everyone, as long as they are all safe does a mom good, to just regroup even if just a couple minutes outside!

It might also mean, asking someone to watch kids for an hour or two so you can go get groceries and have a little time in the car alone.  As a mom, at time I feel like I need to 'do it all', but that is really not the case.  Do NOT feel guilty for asking for help, it will make you a better mom.

Because sometimes, you need to step outside, get some air, and remind yourself of who you are and who you want to be.  

Take a little time to reflect with me....who are you?  And even more, who do YOU want to be?!??!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment